Bible Verse of the Day: Keeping God First

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Weaning from the Swaddle

Ok, so bookie has been in the swaddle for as long as I can remember. I guess, ever since Josh and I decided we were not going to let her sleep on her tummy until she got older for the sake of reducing the risk of SIDS...remember, tummy to play, back to sleep...blah, blah, blah. When I was a baby, I slept on my tummy (according to my parents). Josh and I initially allowed Z to sleep on her tummy because she had pretty good neck control early on and she slept longer that way. But in the end, we wanted to be better safe than sorry.

Anyhoo, Zakiah has been swaddled in all kinds of blankets. For a few weeks now, she has been using the SwaddleMe blanket that has velcro for a more secure fit...LOVELY. However, for a week or so, she has been able to bust out that swaddle. Ha, our own little Houdini. Sometimes it is one arm out or both arms. On a few occasions, she even mananged to bust her feet out!

Now that she is three months, I figured I start weaning her from the swaddle slowly so that she can spend less time fighting herself out of it (and waking herself up sometimes in the process) and more time resting comfortably. Plus, if need be, I would like her to be able to self-sooth whether it be sucking her thumb or any other finger.

Starting today, I am leaving her right arm out the swaddle just to see how she manages. So far so good...she survived her first nap with it out and even managed to put herself back to sleep at one point during her nap when she started fussing. Hopefully by the end of this week, I can move on to leaving both arms out. We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails