Bible Verse of the Day: Keeping God First

Friday, October 23, 2009

She Survived!!! Another Round of Shots DONE.

This picture was captured soon after she received her shots, got dressed, and drank a little bit of breastmilk for comfort.

My, oh, my! Zakiah is a strong, healthy, and brave little girl. She was so alert this morning after I woke her up for her appointment. I gave her a dropper of infant Tylenol before we left to kind of get it working in her system in case a fever wants to pop up.

We got to the pediatrics office ten minutes late. As soon as we walked through the door, the receptionists were like "Here they are!" I'm quite flattered by the warm welcome.

Anyhoo, Zakiah was checked in and weighed. OMG, she weighs 14 pounds and 14 ounces! Woot!!! That's my big little girl. :) Her height came out to be 24.75 inches long. She is a tall one! She is in the 75th percentile for her weight and height. She is in the 60th percentile for her head circumference which came out to be 41.2 cm. It makes momma feel good that her milk is very much adequate and that breastfeeding is going so well between the two of us. Not all moms can say that so we are truly blessed to have come this far.

The doc said that Zakiah is perfectly healthy and can start solids in a month or so. He recommended rice cereal and yellow fruits and veggies such as bananas and squash. This is so exciting that we have the green light to move her to the next stage of eating! Don't know exactly how to go about this so I will be checking the Baby Whisperer forum to get advice on how to incorporate solids in her feeding routine.

For her shots, she got one orally and one injection in each thighs. She received one less shot than what she received during her 2 month appointment. Zakiah was about to start fussing as the nurse was giving her the oral vaccine. I was able to distract her by nodding my head from side to side and make silly noises. I got a smile out of her but not for too much longer. The nurse injected the first needle in her left thigh, and Zakiah let out this high pitched cry. Her face scrunched up hard and turned red instantly. Tears were coming down and her body tensed up. Poor Zakiah...she held on to mommy and daddy's fingers so tight. The nurse quickly gave her the second shot in her right thigh and put her bandages on. That was it!

I softly picked up Zakiah who was still balling and crying her eyes out. She was crying so hard that she was just a drooling. She was not focused on swallowing anything. After some cuddling from mommy and daddy and a little comfort at the nipple, Zakiah cheered up as you can see in the picture above. We left the office and headed back home so daddy can drop us off and go to work. Zakiah fell asleep during the ride back home and napped a little while longer when she got back to the apartment. Now she is up in her swing hanging out with mommy as if nothing really happened. :)

Seeing her get her shots were a little harder this time. Josh and I both said that we never heard Zakiah cry the way she did before. It was definitely a cry of pain and my heart just sank. I didn't have any urge to cry with Zakiah or anything. My concern was to make sure she will be ok and comfort her the best way I can. Zakiah is a brave little girl. She survived another round of shots and is good until her 6 month appointment! I am so proud of her.

I am working on a little video of her appointment right now. Will post soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails